Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Latest SRF News Bulletins: 22 May 2013,11 April 2013, 5 April 2013. If you would like to receive these by email let us know. We can also supply copies of bulletins from 2003 onwards!
- Important new report on the state of Slavonic and East European Studies in UK higher education. Author is Glasgow University's John Dunn. HEA April 2013. Download.
- Statue of Barclay de Tolly for Aberdeen? See article by Christopher Rae – The Press and Journal
(North-East Edition, 21 May 2013). Download.
IT Jobs at Mars Inc in Moscow. Are you a Russian speaking IT professional
looking for an opportunity in Moscow with one of the world’s leading brands? Mars Inc is seeking outstanding
talent for roles in its Information Services Division. Find out more at http://www.globalcareercompany.com/cee-mars
SRF gift to the Ukrainian club. To
celebrate the recent refurbishment of the Ukrainian club the SRF donated an oil painting by a Ukrainian artist
to the club. The painting shows a
view of the Pecherskaya Lavra from the River Dniepr. Photo shows Ukrainian club chairman Michael Ostapko accepting
the painting from the SRF’s Jenny Carr.
- Language Assistant programme: details here.
- Ambassador's visit to the Scotland-Russia Institute 29 Nov 2012. Picture shows Mr Yakovenko reading a copy of the SRF Review. He met our Vice President, Dairmid Gunn, members of the committee and young members. He took a great interest in all aspects of our work and gave us some useful suggestions for future activities. More photographs here.
- Festival of Politics/SRF discussion on "UK-Russian relations today" - Scottish Parliament 25.8.12. Panel: Sir Malcolm Rifkind MP, Irina Demchenko (Novosti), Des McNulty (former MSP) and Sergei Krutikov (Russian Consul General, unable to attend), chairman Prof. Stephen White (Glasgow University). Short statements from all the panel here. Audio recording of discussion here.
- List of 2nd hand books available from the SRF - for a small donation or free!
- SRF press cuttings
- SRF Russian classes: details for the Summer term 2013 are now available on Language Courses.
- 2014/5 will be Year of Russian Culture in the UK and Year of British Culture in Russia! Blog from the director of British Council Russia
- Languages in Scottish schools: The Scottish Government's "2+1" working party on language learning published its recommendations on 17 May: download report. Recommendations incl. the inclusion of Russian in the curriculum. Subsequent Parliamentary debate on language learning 24 May.
- Volunteers needed! We are a voluntary organisation, growing all the time, and that means more and more work for volunteers. Get in touch and we can outline all the interesting (maybe career enhancing?) volunteer opportunities: phone Jenny on 0131 668 3635 or 0784 691 7627 / email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Language assistants in Russia: contact Joe Wake if you are interested in teaching English in a Russian university email@example.com
- Bulgakov at the SRI: A very short extract from the brilliant magic show based on Bulgakov we put on in January 2012 – with Kevin McMahon as Voland, David Crosbie (Koroviev), Alexey Schellenberg (Begemot) and Dewi Wynne Jones (Bengalsky). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQNpkAz3hE&feature=youtu.be
- Award for SRF: The Russian Embassy presented our chair, Jenny Carr, an award (Почётный знак Россотрудничества) for the SRF’s contribution to international cooperation. The presentation took place on Monday 16 January 2012 when John Swinney and other representatives of the Scottish Government met representatives of Russian companies at the Embassy and briefed them on the investment climate in Scotland. Phioto L-R: Russian Fisheries Minister Andrey Krayniy, Scottish Finance Minister John Swinney, SDI Moscow manager Yuri Andreev, the Russian Ambassador Alexander Yakovenko and Jenny Carr. See also http://rusemb.org.uk/activity/42. Русская версия: http://www.rus.rusemb.org.uk/activity/45
- What do YOU think the SRF ought to be doing? Please let us know here. The more responses we get the more we know what you think! Dowloadable MS Word version of the same survey here - please email your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ernst and Young survey (Sept 2011) shows that Russia is increasingly attractive to UK companies.
- Tues 20 Sept 2011: A petition urging support for lesser taught languages in universities was presented to Parliament by Sir Tom Stoppard. A good crowd turned out in support and press coverage included an STV news report which also featured teacher Laszlo Novak and the Russian Consul General talking about the dire school situation: http://player.stv.tv/programmes/news-at-six-edinburgh-east/2011-09-20-1800/ (item starts at 14.22min). Other reports included a BBC report and video of the Petitions Committee proceedings on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14981426, a video and article on the Herald website, and articles in the Scotsman and Times
- 5% discount on all Intourist holidays booked through SRF. We have brochures at the SRI or you can browse online at www.intouristuk.com.
- Scottish school exams in Russian have been axed. We tried to muster support to stop this (see webpage) but all the powerful arguments there have fallen on deaf ears. Where do we go from here??
- Contact us on email@example.com / 0131 668 3635 if you would like to help us with any of our activities
- Download a short review of our achievements so far.