If you are holding an event related to Russia or her neighbours which you would like us to list on this page please email brief details and an image to firstname.lastname@example.org. The SRF reserves the right to accept, reject or edit material sent in.
1. It is with very deep sadness that the death of Peter Harvey on May 21st is announced to SRF members. For many years Peter was SRF Treasurer and he carried out these duties with excellence and unfailing energy. However, we will remember Peter above all for his great vision, kindness and at all times his warm humour and understanding. During the dark months of the pandemic Peter kept an optimism and hopes for the future alive for us all - he planned a visit to Russia which, sadly, could not happen due to the outbreak of the war. However, Peter knew well that barriers and misunderstandings can be eliminated when people of all races and creeds come together with good will to share their experiences and love of language and culture. The very successful SRF "Chai and Chat" meetings will be and are a lasting tribute to Peter's belief in people and in the values of friendship. The outing Peter organised last summer and the party at Christmas, not to mention the monthly meetings of "Chai and Chat" will remain as milestones in the history of SRF in years that can only be described as uncertain and challenging. To say that Peter will be greatly missed is an huge understatement. Sincerest sympathy is extended to Peter's widow, Gillian, and to their family. Funeral arrangements will be announced in due course.
2. The next meeting of "Chai and Chat" will be held in Scott's Restaurant, Mercure Hotel, Princes Street, Edinburgh on Thursday JUNE 1st at noon. All most welcome. Sincerest thanks are due to Elizabeth White who has has taken over the very successful running of this event.
3. DR. JESSICA DOUTHWAITE, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the University of Stirling, gave a fascinating and beautifully illustrated talk on her AHRC-funded collaboration with the National Museums of Scotland "Materialising the Cold War". It is hoped that members will have the chance to find out more about this research - it will have many extremely interesting outputs and there are some fascinating Russo-Scottish aspects to Dr Douthwaite's research...so please watch this space.
4. LONDON THROUGH RUSSIAN EYES: As part of our "Cultural Conversations" series on May 26th at 4pm we will be delighted to welcome Dr Anna Vaninskaya who will present her latest book London through Russian Eyes 1896-1914: An Anthology of Foreign Correspondence (2022). If any member would like to purchase a discounted copy of this book please e-mail Dr Vaninskaya at: email@example.com The Zoomlink for the talk will be mailed out to members later in May.
5. BRISTOL TRANSLATES! Thanks are due to SRF Trustee Dr Sasha Smith for information about this "Bristol Translates On-Line Summer School" which will be held this year from 3-7 July. For more information please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
5.GRAHAM DANE: We will be delighted to welcome Graham Dane who will give us a talk on June 5th at 7pm about the very successful INTERNATIONAL RUSSIAN MEET UP GROUP. The Zoomlink will be sent out later in May. The next meeting of the Group itself will be held on Sunday June 18th at 10am. If you would like to find out more, please e-mail Graham at: email@example.com. Also you can check:
International Russian Meetup Group (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) l Meetup
Congratulations again to Graham for this exciting new venture!
7. "THE FORUM": The next edition of the SRF journal "The Forum" should be with members very soon.
8. "ANNA KARENINA" AT THE LYCEUM THEATRE< EDINBURGH 13th May-3rd June! Thanks are again due to Trustee Sasha Smith for information about this production. Please see too: https://lyceum.org.uk/what's-on/production/anna-karenina. The Director of this production is Polina Kalinina, a graduate of Edinburgh University.
8. RUSSIAN AND UKRAINIAN SUMMER SCHOOL : TANYA YURASOVA has once more sent information about the Russian and Ukrainian Summer School which will be held again this year at the University of Cambridge from 7-11 August. Places are filling up fast. For more details please see https://tancam.uk/russian-and-ukrainian-summer-school or you can e-mail Tanya at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 0781 510 1481.
9. ERIC WISHART: We thank Eric Wishart very much for his help and expertise with SRF financial matters until a new Treasurer is appointed.
10. OSTROVSKY? We are planning an event in cinemas in both Glasgow and Edinburgh later in the year to mark the anniversary of the "Father of Russian Theatre", Ostrovsky...If any SRF member recalls any Scottish production of an Ostrovsky play we will be delighted to hear from you...
11. Congratulations are once more due to SRF Trustee Sasha Smith for the publication of her latest book - Alexandra Smith and Olga Sobolev (eds) , Film Adaptations of Russian Classics: Dialogism and Authorship. ( Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press), 2023. We hope very much that we will hear more about this volume in the near future...